Rhythm Recording Project

Summery

This is a project about rhythm. First we have a beat I made on a program from scratch. I’ve linked the recording and a screenshot of my work. Next we have some notes from a video we watched in class about beats and rhythm. And lastly we have what I’ve learned from this whole endeavor.

Recording Techniques

http://onlinesequencer.net/542711

CC Screenshot (63)

I tried to make this beat sound like the famous Cuban rhythms. I used many percussion instruments that show the culture of that country and I attempted to make a Latin push. If you listen closely, you can even hear some cross rhythm. I have a loop of my beat and a screenshot of my work (see above).

Terms and Concepts

• Rhythm comes from natural things
  • rhythm is even in music when you can’t hear it
  • most beats are divided by 2,3, or 4
  • accent, pulse, sub-division
  • accents can put emphasis on one or two notes to make it sound very different
  • syncopation is a musical slight of hand which makes it sound more mischievous and playful
  • the elastication of syncopation became jazz
  • cross rhythm is music’s party trick. its the overlay of one pattern over another
  • in Cuban music, the melody and bass-line are ahead
  • the Latin push has become very common nowadays

What I Learned

I learned that a beat is made up of subdivided parts of basic naturally rhythm. I learned a lot about the history of rhythm like that if you trace back the origins of jazz and swing, not only are they connected but they both came from marching band music! I learned about how the Latin push has changed much of the music around us today and made a delightful difference in the music we hear on the radio. I also learned about cross rhythm and how it can make beat beat much more interesting.